Monday, January 25, 2010

Constantly Changing...My Outfits.

I was in a meeting earlier today and while I was supposed to be focused on the person presenting up front, I was actually looking down at my shoes, then my jeans, and then my new leather jacket. After this detailed review of my outfit, it hit me that my style changes without me even realizing it. In early 2000, I was obsessed with vintage. So much so that I do believe my bedroom probably smelled like a thrift store. I know, that sounds bad, but it was all clean I swear! I had stilettos from the 50's and really uncomfortable Ferragamo stacked heel, square toed shoes. I had at least four pairs of them. Fur hats, wool capes, velvet pants, all from a time when I wasn't even born. I just loved it.

Then, slowly that obsession started to fade and somehow Lily Pulitzer worked her way into my closet ( I don't really want to talk about it, but there is a pic over there...). I worked for a company that designed jewelry that basically matched everything Lily Pulitzer, so there's the culprit. Around 2005 when I moved to New York City, I started collecting blazers and jeans ( you know, that whole Blue Cult/ Seven Jean explosion) and that became my wardrobe for a while. And over the years, I have kept a few things from each stint. I like to remember who I was, but not hold onto it too tightly because we gotta grow!

Now its 2010 and I feel like I have hit my favorite genre. I don't know the name of it because its a mesh of things I see everyday. Converse sneakers with skinny jeans, paired with a biker jacket, topped off with a preppy patchwork scarf as seen over here. (I work alone, so no one was here to take the photo, hence, half an outfit.)


Anyway, this was a very long way of saying, I am open to anything. I've stopped saying "No, I would never wear that..." because I just don't know that, now do I? I never pegged myself for someone who would wear socks with sandals. LET ME FINISH! However, the Spring 2010 collection from Rochas has me thinking, "Well, done right, why not?" I don't love all of the looks from this collection , but this one on the left really strikes my fancy ( photo from Elle.com). Now I just need to find some socks that don't have the Nike logo or some sort of polka dot.

There's so much out there to play around with. I feel like when I follow one trend, I am closing myself off to what else is out there. I pulled a few things from the 80's comeback phase, and while several people flat out made fun of my nods to that decade of debauchery, I really had fun with it!

This Spring I have no idea what I will wear or how I will wear it, but I know I will find something new and fresh that will keep this game of getting dressed, fun!

No comments: